Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Line


Suspense is killing you, isn’t it? I’ll give you a hint. I am now sitting in a line. Sitting because I’ve never met a floor I didn’t try to make my own. This is a new line and much warmer than the first one. The first one was outside the Moscone center, and it was just a little nippy up here in the wilds of northern California.

That’s right—I am at a convention. I have never been to a convention before, but I thought… ok, where do boys go. No football right now. No baseball. Comic books and science fiction conventions? AHA! And it doesn’t hurt that a matter of hours, Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny will be in front of me. Ok, that might have been the real draw. But the boys were a nice bonus. More men have talked to me in the last 2 hours than in the last 5 years in Los Angeles. Maybe it’s just the nature of a convention crowd, or maybe it’s just getting out of LA. It doesn’t matter.

This is a photo of the main line at 9:30am.








Thanks to my new best friend Susan and her mad seat finding skills, I am now in Hall A. These people know their convention shit. See, there was a line, and then everyone in the first line (which was actually 3 lines) got to run like their lives depended on it, while pretending to walk sedately, to get seats in the main hall. I was in that first crush, and I had mistakenly taken off my boots and jacket and strewn them around me. Entirely inappropriate, but I was a convention virgin, so… Thank goodness for the girl behind me who grabbed it for me. These people rule.

I am now in the 4th row on an aisle with my camera ready.

By the way, for people who have friends coming, everyone who was in line this morning got into the hall.

2 comments:

supersonic susan said...

well hello miss Kate! =) it's your new best friend here, dropping a line and saying hello.

I am LOVING your pics. seeing Mulder and Scully live and in the flesh totally makes up for those 5 billion star wars videos. Except for that dancing robot! They need to bring that back!

Kate, Dating in LA said...

LOL!! Yea! I'm still telling everyone how great you were. And I absolutely agree-- the dancing robot needs it's own show. :)